Friday, October 13, 2006

after an year

I cant believe, I haven't scribbled on the net for almost an Year. Well it was no doubt an eventful year. I graduated, found a job, bought a nice new car, lost my love and I am still kicking. Life has definetely become more eventful and I am sure I will blog pretty often from now on.

I'll go for a recap of the year next time, but today let me just go over something interesting I encountered on the construction site today. The guys were apparently alabama union workers. Working in an field engineering firm like GRL Engineers has let me travel widely within the United States and I can say that I do know something about the disparity in the wages of labor across the country by now. I am not sure if the guys (I am not even referring to the foreman, I am just talking about the people who go up the leads hook up the hammer, do welding, put up bolts and nuts) in New Jersey were so exceptional that they make 75$ an hr, while in Alabama they make 10$ and hr and someone in seattle makes 20$ an hr. Weird isn't, I am yet to get a grasp of it, but all i know is that a technician in NJ makes quite a lot of dosh, even more than most engineers and a guy working at wendy's beats the guy who slogs his day out battling the scorching heat of alabama hands down. Well I guess it is all still better than the truck driver I met in seattle airport who casually mentioned that "I made 8000$ a week in california". damn it, thats a lot of money, freaking too much. anyway enough of this.

I would love to start writing about other issues that have been eating me up, but i'll save it for later.

No comments: